Saturday 1 February 2014

La Tabacalera ii

When Dafydd and Helena were staying over the first weekend of term, I took them to La Tabacalera seeing as we were in the area. The part I had been in before wasn't actually open but we found ourselves in another part of the building where they were holding an exhibition of the work of several photographers.

I'm sorry to bore you but I will yet again mention how I love just how rough and almost neglected the building is. It is freezing cold, near empty and pretty dark except for the lighting on the photographs.

Great place to for a crime was the first thing to go through my head... slightly worrying... especially seeing as there were a set of photographs of - I'm hoping simulated rather than real - car crashes taken from inside the car.





It is easy to spot features of the former tobacco factory.


I liked the work we saw there. We hadn't expected anything and that was exactly what it was: unexpected.

There were some thought-provoking photographs by Vanessa Pastor with sketches on paper covering the heads of those in the portrait, mimicking the exact angles and facial expressions we imagine these people to be making.



However, my favourite set of photographs was Madrid off by Óscar Carrasco showing us "un Madrid oculto", places in and around Madrid either abandoned or merely forgotten.


No comments:

Post a Comment